Before the cold weather sets in you should have your HVAC system inspected by a licensed professional. A well-tuned system provides comfort and even temperatures throughout your house. As winter sets in, the demands on your system increase.
Why is a winter HVAC maintenance program important?
Here are some major benefits why performing routine maintenance of your HVAC system is important.
- Ensures that your home is safe and comfortable
- Maintains your warranty
- Makes sure your system is working properly
- Can help reduce your energy bills
- Can prevent costly repairs when problems are caught early
- Protects your HVAC system and extends performance
- What kind of winter HVAC maintenance can you as a homeowner do yourself?
- Check for energy leaks around doors, windows and other openings and seal as necessary.
- Make sure vents and ducts are clean and air is free to move.
- Keep a record of maintenance and establish a regular annual schedule.
- Use curtains and window coverings to keep warm air in and prevent condensation on windows.
- Check your thermostat to ensure it is working properly. For better energy savings, consider installing a programmable thermostat. Program for efficiency by lowering temperatures at night or when the house is unoccupied. A drop of 5 degrees can make a significant difference in your winter energy bill.