You can feel it when you walk out of your home in the morning. The sun is beating down and the humidity is up. Summer has officially arrived. With the start of summer comes the start of the season for your air conditioner. Make sure your system is ready with a few helpful HVAC tips!
- Check/Change the Air Filter- A blocked air filter can make keeping your home cool difficult. If the filter is clogged with dirt, be sure to change it out. Otherwise, your system will have to work much harder to keep you cool, which can cause higher energy bills. If you have more questions about air filters, check out our article about furnace filters today!
- Clean the Condenser Coil- The condenser coil lets off heat outside in order to cool off the refrigerant. Once it has cooled off, the refrigerant goes back inside and through the evaporator coil, cooling off your home. If the condenser coil becomes dirty, it will not allow your home to cool off properly. In addition, a dirty condenser coil causes your air conditioner to work much harder, raising your energy bills. Since your system has to work harder, its lifespan can be shortened as well. This can result in expensive repairs or having to replace the system sooner than desired. Check out our article on how to clean your air conditioning condenser to see the step by step process.
- Check the Refrigerant Lines- Refrigerant lines are the two copper pipes that connect the outside condensing unit to the inside evaporator coil. The larger one is usually insulated with a black rubbery foam insulation. Refrigerant lines should always be properly insulated. Having refrigerant lines that are insulated will help keep your system running at peak efficiency. If you find that the refrigerant lines need repairs, be sure to get in touch with one of our trusted professionals today and they would be glad to assist you.
- Turn on your System- The best way to find out if there is any issue with your air conditioning system is by turning it on. Be sure to listen for anything that sounds unusual, such as the fan being too loud. Also, set your thermostat to the desired temperature. After about an hour or two, if you do not see the temperature in your home moving toward that temperature, it may be time to contact a trusted professional to determine the issue that is causing your home not to reach the desired temperature.
- Regular Maintenance- The best way to save money on your air conditioning system is to have it regularly serviced by a licensed and trusted professional. You should try to have this maintenance done before the start of summer, as HVAC service appointments fill up quickly and emergency appointments can be expensive. If you need a professional, let us help find you one in your area today.
- Turn up the Temperature- When you are gone during the day, you don’t want your home to be kept as cool as if you were there. This can cause higher energy bills for you. By turning up the temperature a few degrees during the day, such as going from 72 to 76 degrees Fahrenheit, you can save money on your energy bills. If you have pets and are concerned about their comfort and safety, check out the best ways to keep them cool here!
The summer is going to be hot and you are going to want to run your air conditioning to keep cool. Having a few helpful tips in mind will save you a lot of money this summer, all while keeping you comfortable! If you are worried about your air conditioning system not being ready for the summer, get in touch with us (CR Heating and Cooling) and we can help you with all of your cooling needs this summer!